the road ahead...

the road ahead...
I learned that sometimes a [life] journey can take you to a place that is not on any map. Cold Fever

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

El viaje...y un poco después, la llegada

After a 12 hour delay of my flight...arriving at 9pm instead of 9am on Monday...I finally made it to Buenos Aires, safe and sound, and very happy to have the act of traveling behind me...I had a wonderful send off in Chicago on Sunday with gorgeous coffee, breakfast, weather, and company.

Upon arrival, I met my driver, who was a hilarious man, originally from Sicily. He was so delighted to speak Italian with me, and tried teaching me some Sicilian as well. This only majorly confused what Spanish I could muster at the end of a long trip...I don't know by the end what language I was speaking, but at least we understood each other.. :-)..

I enjoyed his "relationship advice", which he felt qualified to share because he was 38 and had been happily married for 14 years...He explained that the problem here (in Buenos Aires), is that there are many more women than men, and so the men like to try out many different women. He adamently expressed that it is demasiado lío (too much of a mess), when men try to have 3 or more women...but he thought 2 was perfectly ok. He doesn't think they should be greedy and go for 3.

...and all of that to tell me that the most important aspect to keep a relationship going is communication...even in the bedroom, he emphasized....good to know....grazie Alessandro...

After a delightfully interesting conversation with Alessandro, I made it to my new home for 4 months...in the barrio Caballito...where I met my landlords, including a german shepherd named Fidel, and found my room with a lovely bed and internet access...Ahh, life is good....now to explore the city, stumbling along in Spanish and with some Argentinian pesos...

No comments:

Post a Comment